Monday, February 05, 2007

Fra Lippo Lippi - Shouldn't Have To Be Like That 12"


There's been a lot of talk about the 'British Invasion' in the 60's and then again in the 90's, with bands like The Rolling Stones and The Beatles heading the charge. However, I've not heard much of this 'Philippines Invasion', though I am just becoming aware that one actually took place somewhere in the 80's. Though this is not bands from the Philippines invading say the UK or USA, but the other way around. I'm married to a flip, but never realized that bands such as Fra Lippo Lippi and The Lotus Eaters were REALLY huge in such a remote place. You have to wonder how a band from Norway got their message so far, but were not as big in their local continent... I guess the flips have good taste (I am after all married to one). This is a decent 12" I was introduced to not too long ago, and to be honest I didn't even know much about these guys. Perhaps, being my fickle self, I thought the name was a bit too 'odd' sounding to be good.. does that make sense? Given the chance, I've deducted that Fra Lippo Lippi had constructed a well made pop song, and I plan to give them more listens. Kudos Norway.




Track 1, Shouldn't Have To Be Like That

Track 2, The Distance Between Us

Track 3, Say Something

Track 4, Shouldn't Have To Be Like That (Original Version)




UK Virgin Records 1986, VS 831-12


Personal rating 3.5/5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh man you better believe it. this was huuuuge in the Philippines. along w/ the lotus eaters, china crisis, seona dancing, the adventures, and uh...jimmy jimmy.