Sunday, March 09, 2008

Pete Shelley - On Your Own


You can look back at a lot of bands, and ponder how many of them managed to not float your boat in the mid 80's. Then all of a sudden, you find one gem that should be regarded as one of the greatest songs of the 80's. The track 'One Your Own' surely must be one of those tracks, as I have never really been a fan of Pete Shelley, nor The Buzzcocks for that matter. Perhaps The Buzzcocks material for the most part was a tad too harsh for me (I do like a few tracks, just not most of it), or perhaps Pete Shelley was a bit too abstract for my liking back then; who knows. I do know that every time I hear this song, even today, I remind myself of a great time. There are certain songs that are anthems to an era for people, be it 'Somebody' by Depeche Mode, or 'How Soon Is Now' by The Smiths. This is among my large list of anthem songs from that period, and would make many a mixed tape it's home if that were the format of choice today. Alas, mixed Cd's don't have the same charm as making a good mixed tape, and this is best exemplified by watching High Fidelity. Go watch your copy again.




Track 1, On Your Own (New York Mix)

Track 2, On Your Own (Dub Mix)

Track 3, Please Forgive Me.. But I Cannot Endure It Any Longer




Grab the tracks here!




UK Mercury Records 1986, MERX 221

Personal rating 4.5/5

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is his best album. The critics didn't like it but who cares?

Monkey Flinging Poo said...

Totally agree with your mix tape comment. The first time I ever made a CD I was disappointed that I couldn't sit there and make it in real time and listen to it while it was recording. I used to love grabbing a beer and making a mixed tape with each song hitting as the mood struck.

I do disagree with your thoughts on this Pete Shelley track, though.
I'm a fan of the Buzzcocks and his first two solo albums, but this one was a dud. Only a couple of songs I'd ever want to hear off of it.

Palyniam said...

XL-1 was pete's best album

Dreamwave said...

Well, monkey, perhaps I'll have to sit back relisten to them again.. it has been a while and things change.

Perhaps we can start a mixed tape revolution? I still think cd's are generic as hell, and there's nothing like a mixed tape. Even when it buggers up, and you have to wind it all back in with a pen, that's the charm!
I used to make fabulous mixed tape, and stick a cheese ass song in the middle, Abba or Bee Gees, as a surprise for someone.. all this good music then that! Gah! You just can't pull off that one with a cd..

Anonymous said...

desperately looking for HEAVEN & THE SEA by PETE SHELLEY
could you help?
many thanks
john

Dreamwave said...

I can probably rip heaven & sea for you in time.. things are a tad busy here right now with me looking for a house, and the baby coming.

Anonymous said...

Hi
I would very much appreciate PETE SHELLEY's "heaven & sea" . It's really worth a second listening if you didn't like it first time !
many thanks for all.

Steve

Dreamwave said...

I can try.. but.. I haven't had a scrap of time to do anything here. Moving at the end of the month, plus the overtime at work has stretched my time fairly thin. It will be some time before anything goes up here methinks. Probably a month or so.

Hallway Of Memories said...

I am such a huge fan of this blog. I also have a very 80's underground new wave blog you might fancy
WWW.HALLWAYOFMEMORY.BLOGSPOT.COM

Anonymous said...

You really know your stuff... Keep up the good work!