Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Tears For Fears - Pale Shelter 12"


The Hurting was both a great influence in my musical taste, and revolutionary album in the eighties. Several amazing singles, and a very solid album overall (which cannot be said about most 80's artists). Despite me loving the other singles, 'Mad World' and 'Change', I find 'Pale Shelter' always stood out as my most played song. Although it is a quite gloomy song, it does not leave you feeling like you wish to slash your wrists, but rather leaves you with the lyrics implanted for a later chorus. If The Hurting would have sounded like Songs from The Big Chair, I'm not sure I would have even given Tears For Fears a second listen, but The Hurting provided that dose of melancholy that I think we all needed in that time. (This isn't to say Big Chair is crap, more to say it is a much 'happier' album, and possibly not their strongest). I would easily suggest The Hurting to anyone who is a fan of this music, albeit you probably have it already! I would also say that you might find this your favorite single on the album, as with me it comes in as number 7 on my top 10 songs of the 80's list.





Track 1, Pale Shelter (You Don't Give Me Love) [Extended]

Track 2, Pale Shelter (You Don't Give Me Love)

Track 3, The Prisoner




Grab the tracks here, password-pwemb.blogspot.com




UK Mercury Records 1982, IDEA 212



Personal rating 4.5/5


See what Tears For Fears items we have in our online shop!

3 comments:

JASON X said...

No, I would say that "Sowing the seeds of Love" was their strongest by far. But the Hurting was a good album!

Jason
Shindiggit!

Dreamwave said...

That is a faboulous album, don't get me wrong.. but I do still love The Hurting.

Tekkrokk said...

I gotta agree; The Hurting is my fave TFF release also, and this song is the best track. Interesting, I have this on vinyl also. This record is actually the pre-album version. Another later 12" was released after The Hurting became a chart success in the UK. Of the two releases of Pale Shelter, I prefer this one.