Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Wild Swans - Space Flower


This album, is more or less, the little album that could for me. Being a fan of The Wild Swans All through their career, and owning most releases through the Revolutionary Spirit EP, Bringing Home The Ashes, to this album. I guess I should explain that upon first listen to this album I kind of when 'eh?'. It wasn't really what I was expecting from the band, based on their previous works. To put this rhetoric into context, it was like listening to The Hurting by Tears For Fears, then listening to Sowing The Seeds Of Love as their second album. There was a radical departure from the sound that so sucked me in. For the first little while, the album seemed destined to remain part of the 'chuck' section of my record collection, or more aptly 'run back to the store and flog these' section. Back in the 80's, this portion of my musical library was VERY big. I bought things based on cool jackets, and song names. In reality, that translates to: I bought a lot of shit. The thing with this Wild Swans album, I could never really bring myself to part with it. It's like something kept telling me, "hold on man, you'll like it eventually!" We low and behold, here it is posted some 10 years later on my blog. I guess the little voices (no I'm not schizophrenic) in my head were right. Although my musical tastes did change somewhat from then, I still basically listen to the same 'type' of material, being not fairly mainstream and usually resulting from overseas (remember I'm in Canada 'eh'?). In reality, this seems now to be the perfect transition from one album to the next by Ian, and it sounds much more a matured album. It might take a few listens, but it's worth every second of it. From rubbish to gold in about a few years! It's amazing what you can accomplish if you listen to those voices in your head. Oh, just to set the record straight, we still can't fly.





Track 1, Melting Blue Delicious

Track 2, Butterfly Girl

Track 3, Tangerine Temple

Track 4, Immaculate

Track 5, Space Flower

Track 6, Chocolate Bubblegum

Track 7, I'm A Lighthouse

Track 8, Magic Hotel

Track 9, Vanilla Melange

Track 10, Sea Of Tranquility





Grab the tracks here! Password-pwemb.blogspot.com





US Sire/Reprise Records 1990, 9 26154-2



Personal rating 4.5/5

5 comments:

biffbangpow said...

Hi,

thanks for this nice post, this album was an honest lp and sounded well in the period, but i'm a wild swans fan too and "bringing home the ashes" is out of time (like "no sense of sin") and will always be my favourite.

bye

Anonymous said...

I can't get enough of that Liverpool stuff. Nice one, thanks, cheers, ta,..

Anonymous said...

Nice to see I'm not the only fan of this album! Yes, I'd take Bringing Home the Ashes if I had to pick just one, but I'd vote for Melting Blue Delicious, Butterfly Girl, and I'm a Lighthouse as among the best psychedelic cuts ever.

Anonymous said...

have 'ashes' but never had chance to hear this before - thanks for the opportunity, really looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Hey thank you for the wonderful article it had been genuinely useful , I hope you will just publish additional about this ! This topic rocks